Sunday 9 May 2021

PEN, Pencil, & PAPER

Over the years I've made hundreds of sketches and drawings with pen, and pencil, on paper of every description. I've sketched on location in many locations in Canada and the American Southwest, and utilizing these sketches and memories, as well as photographs, made countless drawings and paintings. In an attempt to preserve some of my efforts I've self published several books, and was fortunate in one instance to have one book published by the Friends of Killarney Provincial Park. I've tried to get others interested in publishing some of my sketches and drawings, but to no avail. Much of what I've sketched runs up against the work of Canada's cash cow artists, the Group of Seven and Tom Thomson, so regardless of the fact their work was then, and my works are now, there's not much chance the my sketches will survive more than the time allowed by Google. Should I quit posting, after two years, I believe, Google takes down one's posts. So, anyone who's happened here by design, or most likely by chance, make the best of your time, as I'm growing no younger, and will soon stop posting. The pandemic is to blame. Should you be young your attitude is that you have time to weather the storm, but should you be an elder, restrictions imposed result in your running out of time. I'm no longer "Jack be nimble", hills have become mountains, and I'm running out of memories.



Memory pencil sketch of Lumsden Lake in Killarney Provincial Park. Located but a short hike from the east campground we frequently made it a preferred location when we were short of time. On a couple of occasions we scrambled to the top of the ridge, although it wasn't promoted, and I would sit and sketch, or photograph, while Sandy would explore. The lake itself was very interesting being one of those affected by acid rain from Sudbury's nickel mining, crystal clear, and too acidic for anything to grow, or live in it's water.




I believe that this pencil sketch, executed quickly was one of these sketches that was done on the fly as there was no place for a vehicle to stop. It's a peek-a-boo scene, something remembered in passing by and quickly sketched to be revisited at a later date. it would appear to have been sketched up in Algonquin Park.


Georgian Bay Island - Killarney Provincial Park -  a pencil memory sketch that later, in the studio, became the source for several small paintings and drawings. 


Yes, that's me many years ago not long after I'd returned from a trip to New Mexico, where I enjoyed an encounter with a hummingbird. I won't go into the circumstances, but to mention that it may have been attracted by the red colour in my Canada hat pin, and to point out that it was executed in pencil/graphite on a large sheet of D'Arches 
300 lb watercolour paper.



Sometimes when you're travelling you find yourself in a situation where it's almost impossible to stop the car at the side of the road in order to make a sketch; as was the case in this instance. So, I did stop, but only for a couple of minutes, time enough to make a very quick ink sketch on the first thing available, a lined note pad. Later, when it was safe to do so I added some watercolour


 



Another of those quick sketches at the side of the road with traffic whizzing by. This time a pencil sketch made on all purpose sketching paper.


In this instance I made a pen & ink drawing back home in the studio using a watercolour sketch made on location as reference.


This pencil sketch was made in a small hardcover sketchbook while sitting on the shore  in Lake of Two Rivers campground on a cold day in October after the campground had closed for the season. I had to be quick as, a few minutes later the authorities were breathing down my neck reminding me that I shouldn't be there. They were good enough, however, to allow me to quickly finish my sketch. The quick sketch would be an aid to several paintings made in the years to come.


Sometimes while paddling the canoe, things would happen, such as in this instance when two Common Loons flew past our canoe almost within arm reach. Of course, there's no way that you're going to get a sketch of something like this, all that you can hope for is that the memory of the moment remains fresh, and that later you might put together a pencil sketch.





Frood Lake - Killarney Provincial Park

The preceding images are of Frood Lake. Frood Lake is located at the west side of the park and from Frood Lake one can access/portage into the park. During  my early interest in a project involving the park I had thought of making this my starting point. Then, I realized that The Group Of Seven had worked this area, so I set my sights on the other side of the park where they had not tread. I'v included pencil and ink drawings including a closeup of each.
Should you be interested in owning my book of paintings and sketches of Killarney Provincial Park, go to the Friends of Killarney Park's online gift shop, or go to Blurb Publishing and type my name, and it should bring up a larger book with colour plates.



I enjoy working with a graphite pencil, usually a 2B. This drawing of the Hairy Woodpecker
was done on a piece of Illustration Board. I believe that I still own it. It's probably in one of the pile of drawings in my basement.

In the event that someone pays a visit to my blog, and should you wish to see more pencil and pen and ink works, stay tuned as I plan to come back to this posting and add several more drawings and sketches....







This pencil sketch, as well as the one above, was made from memory and could be considered a part of the pandemic series, as in 2020, much like the present, May, 2021, we were in lockdown, and for the first time in 40 years, or so, we were unable to travel.



Frood Lake- Killarney Provincial Park - This pencil drawing was made on watercolour paper, and was supposed to be the foundation drawing for a watercolour. When finished I liked its simplicity and decided to keep it as such.






















No comments:

Post a Comment