Sunday 13 June 2021

NORTH FROM SUPERIOR

Once past Montreal Harbour on Hwy 17 one begins to experience Group Of Seven landscapes, endless forests and hills to challenge the very best hikers....and artists.






Algoma Landscape - Ink Sketch    2007

I believe that every landscape artist that passes this way is inspired, as were the members of the Group of Seven,  to try to capture the wildness and the solitude of this incredible northern landscape. I've tried on several occasions....and am looking forward to another attempt.



Montreal River - Algoma.  Pencil Sketch. 2021

From time to time I let my mind wander back to better days, days spent gazing with wonder at the northern wilderness, and I'm inspired to make a sketch.



Algoma - North From Superior.    Pencil Drawing

View From The Ridge - Watercolour field sketch.

After struggling on a rough, worn trail to the top of the ridge I found a comfortable rock on an overlook, and spent a couple of hours making several sketches.


Continuing along the ridge, near to the end of the hiking trail there was another lookout that offered a view of Old Woman Bay. As there was a comfortable rock nearby I had no choice but to once again sit and attempt a watercolour sketch.


Old Woman Bay - View from the ridge.  Watercolour Field Sketch


I believe that I've mentioned this in my postings on several occasions, sketching is much like keeping a personal diary. A sketch, viewed years later, brings back memories of a time well spent. I personally can look at one of my sketches and recall the the warmth of the sun on my face, the scent of the pines, and the call of a raven as it soared high up in the sky. I can no longer scramble to the top of a hill on a lonely hiking trail, but with the help of a sketch my spirit can.


No comments:

Post a Comment