Friday 30 August 2019

WHAT DOES ONE DO WITH THE ART THAT WE CREATE?




I was recently asked what does one do with all of the art that we create? 

Good question. Here in Canada, and I’m sure that it’s much the same in other countries, if your art speaks to the history of the people and is judged unique it may be archived in the national art gallery, namely museums devoted to the history of the humanities. However, most art becomes decorative wall art and in time finds its way to landfill. So called wildlife art, might, and stress the might, find its way into the collections of natural history museums. 

I realized from the outset that my art was lacking, neither unique, nor technically spectacular, and would not be archived by either, so as in the case of sketches and paintings of Killarney Provincial Park, I donated all of it, some 150 pieces, or more to the Friends of Killarney Park. The Friends, I understand, have sold it piecemeal to raise funds for ongoing Art in the Park projects, etc. I suppose that at the moment much of it is being enjoyed in the homes of persons who frequent and appreciate the park. As for many of my intaglio plates and some of the prints taken from the plates, they have found a home in the local museum as examples of the craft. My Algonquin work, that which hasn't sold, will probably go to friends and relatives…. and eventually landfill.

Knowing that most of my art will, in time, disappear, I  have put together books as a means of simply preserving some of my images and experiences, bringing together moments of inspiration, memories of my time spent making art….something to share and to keep me company in my old age.


It is interesting to note that most of our lives we struggled to get ahead, to standout, to be successful. And then, one day, when we’re old and grey, we come to realize that, although the struggle was worth the effort, our success was something less than what we strived to attain. The effort to keep up, the race to get ahead, if you will, was for not. At least that’s what you think. That we made a difference we shall, in all probability, never know. Perhaps, we did touch someone with our presence, our thoughts, our attempts to preserve and protect. However, as individuals our importance was questionable. Like it or not we were insignificant members of a collective without seeming purpose, a purpose that will be fulfilled without our knowing.

So, there it is. If you chose to become an artist you must accept that if it lacks historic significance in one form or another you will probably be left with a pile of memories that will be turned to dust, or at best mulch for someone's garden. Be satisfied with the experience of working at becoming, and possibly succeeding as an artist.


Over the years I produced a ton of art. As mentioned above, non was spectacular or really unique, but in looking back I regret nothing, and am certain that much of my work had the effect of making someone's life a bit more enjoyable, as well as, in some small way, helping to preserve and protect our natural heritage. Here are but a few of my images from my book titled Whispering Wings.... 










No comments:

Post a Comment