Friday 30 March 2018

MARCH 2018

There comes this time each year, between winter and spring, when we look forward to summer with anticipation, but the winter seem to drag on slow to let go, and allow the warmth of spring to take over. It's a time of frustration, there's not enough snow to ski, the ice is too thin to skate, and the ground is still frozen preventing the spring garden cleanup. I, however, don't really mind, at least no more being ancient in the eyes of some, so I read, plan, write, and sometimes go out and make a sketch, or two.



Winter Be Gone

I went sketching the other day,
not far,
a few blocks away.
I walked down the street to Seventh and Ottawa,
and stood on the corner gazing out onto the Bay.
Although late into March,
winter
with all of its cold,
lingers, 
laughing at spring. 
Balancing pencil and paper
I began a quick sketch, 
while standing 
high up on the hill, 
looking out on the Bay,
all frozen and white.
My fingers are soon frozen and numb.
I’m dreaming of summer,
yearning for green,
and warmth for my bones.
A robin came early,
its song so forlorn.
No doubt it’s wishing,
winter be gone.
I finish my sketch,
hands in my pockets, 
I hurry on home 
wishing,
also,
winter be gone.

EAS



The Bay - Midland Harbour    Pencil Sketch


No comments:

Post a Comment