Friday 31 March 2023

THE DUCKS ARE BACK!!

 March 31st, 2023



As I write it's snowing. Winter, it would seem is stubbornly hanging on. All the same the ducks and geese are valiantly struggling to get here, and set up housekeeping and begin the process of bringing a new generation into the world.

Used to be, at about this time of the year I'd rise early, and make the trek out to a near by marsh named Tiny Marsh, not because it was tiny, but due to the fact that it was located in the Township of Tiny. Now, aged, I tend to wait a bit for warmer weather, and rather than hike the marsh I walk slowly to the edge, and scan the marsh with my binoculars looking for signs of life out on the open waters. Not to feel sorry for myself, ageing is normal should you live long enough, and besides I have lots of memories. 

However, my memories are of better times when the ducks on the marsh were far more plentiful. Now, urban development, and costs of maintaining wetlands increasing, wetlands here in southern Ontario, are disappearing, as are the ducks. We're draining wetlands for urban development. Tens of thousands private dwellings are needed to house a burgeoning population. Wildlife habitat is being sacrificed for the almighty dollar.

Sad, how we've treated nature. I feel certain that one day we'll rue the day that we paved over paradise.








No comments:

Post a Comment