Friday 4 November 2022

ARTISTS ARE NEEDED


Frood Lake - Killarney.                            Pencil Sketch  2022


 Some years ago I read an article which, I believe, was written by the then director of the National Art Gallery Of Canada, to the effect that Canadian landscape painting was dead as the Group Of Seven had “said it all”. My response was to the effect that they may have brought international attention to a distinctive manner of painting the Canadian landscape, but their’s could not be the last word as the landscape itself was ever evolving. The Group of Seven painted what was then, not what is now, as it’s ever changing and will forever need artists to record these changes. Algonquin, and Killarney Provincial Parks are recovering from the devastation of extensive logging in the early 1900s. Artists are needed to record the change, and to promote and preserve our natural heritage….


Whitefish Island  Algonquin Park    Watercolour Sketch


Island Oxtongue Lake.                       Pencil Sketch







I was sitting in my studio thinking and doodling on a piece of scrap paper. My doodle turned into a landscape that reminded me of the long climb up the canoe portage from Lake Of Two Rivers in Algonquin Park, and finally arriving at the top looking out onto Provoking Lake. The doodle was set aside and I made a pencil drawing drawing upon memories made long ago....




Provoking Lake. Algonquin.  Pencil Drawing. 2022







No comments:

Post a Comment