Sunday 20 November 2022

MOST ART SIMPLY FADES & DISAPPEARS

Tea Lake - Algonquin Park.                              Pencil Study. 2022

 I’ve  struggled for almost half my life to have my art recognized with the hopes that after I’ve departed, to where I do not know, it might survive, and that through it the message that I tried to convey would stay alive, perhaps not forever, but for a little while. Unfortunately, my wish, realistically speaking, isn’t about to become a reality. As I near my day of reckoning I’ve come to realize that the majority of all art, and the messages contained, disappear. Decorative art that speaks to human history sometimes lives on, but most art simply fades with its makers and owners, leaving future generations to wonder at its mystery. And so, as I prepare, time spent wondering the fate of the many drawings and paintings stored in folders and taking up space in our basement, I realize that its time to let go, and disperse much of it appreciating that the message has already be said.

Without a message I personally believe that most art is simply, for wont of other words, trash, worthy of only, one day being treated as trash. Some art evokes memories for the viewer, and some art is political in nature, but little art is worthy of finding its way into national archives, a means to preserving humanity’s history.  Somewhere in past postings I’ve mentioned that national art galleries are really not "art" galleries per se, but museums of the humanities.


Where does my art fit into this description of art, probably along with the majority destined for landfill. Am I concerned, saddened, that some would say that my time spent pursuing art was a waste of my time….not at all, as I do feel that somewhere ,out there, someone has taken my message to heart, and is spending their time appreciating our natural heritage, even helping to take steps to try to preserve bits and pieces here and there. 


I do believe that my time was well spent.



Beauty & The Beast.  Pencil Drawing

Mallards                    Hand-Coloured Etching



Canada Geese.            Hand-Coloured Etching



George Lake - Killarney Provincial Park.                  Pencil Drawing

Island - Oxtongue Lake.                       Pencil Drawing




No comments:

Post a Comment