Sunday 4 November 2018

A MEMORY SPENT



Stormy Day - Lake Superior Provincial. Park      Graphite Drawing


NOVEMBER 3, 2018

Early this morning, 
early that is for me,
I went outside and stood,
enjoying the freshness of a November morning. 
The air was cold, and was tinged 
with the smell of wood smoke. 
Signs that warned that winter would soon,
too soon for me, 
make its unwanted appearance. 
My mind wandered for the moment,
back to a similar morning years ago, 
spent sketching at Old Woman Bay,
up Lake Superior way.
It was cold that morning as well. In fact 
it had snowed, 
not much,
just a few flurries. The wind 
coming off of the lake
was bitter cold. Still, I
 had no choice,
I had come to sketch, and
sketch I must. So,
I pulled out my sketchbook, and
sitting at the side of Old Woman River, 
with the waves roaring onto Superior’s shore,
I made a sketch. 
Sketch made,
fingers frozen,
I stumbled to my feet,
brushed the sand from my jeans, and
sought shelter. 
A memory well spent,
I went inside, found my sketchbook,
and once again
found my way home.  


Old Woman River         Pen & Ink Field Sketch

Old Woman River - Lake Superior Provincial. Park      Pen & Ink Drawing








No comments:

Post a Comment