Sunday 24 March 2013

SO LONG, AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH.


At one time I was a huge fan of science fiction. I belonged to a science fiction book club and read just about everything that I could get my hands on. Science fiction writers wrote about possibilities, how it was possible that there was something out there, something that might save us from ourselves. Then, I came to understand that despite what is written about space travel, and alien societies, and our making contact, it ain’t going to happen. Unlike the dolphins in Douglas Adams’ fourth book, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy "series" , we have no choice, but to stay and solve our own problems. And so I’ve tried through my art to impress upon those that I’ve met that what we have is quite awesome, a miracle of sorts, and that we really must try, however we’re able, to preserve and protect our natural heritage. As I understand it, once it’s gone, it’s gone for all time.



DAWN FLIGHT - CANADA GEESE     Etching


This morning a flock of Canada Geese flew over heading north. At last, a real sign that spring is just around the corner. It’s also a signal to me, myself, and I, that I should get out to the marsh and other wild places to observe and sketch and paint and enjoy our wild heritage. 



SPRING - TRILLIUMS    Watercolour Painting

For those of you not of Canada the Trillium is the province of Ontario's wild flower. In a race against time the trillium blankets our forests floor putting forth blossoms before the trees come into leaf and block the sun from reaching the forest floor.

















No comments:

Post a Comment