Wednesday 11 November 2020

MEMORY SKETCHES

During this time of isolation brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic, the importance of quick sketches made in the field, is a bit of a godsend. Those quick sketches made on the run, scribbles and half completed drawings, become the source of future paintings, or at the very least inspiration to pick up a pencil, or brush and encourage memories to surface.

It's been a while since I've picked up a brush. I've spent most of the last couple of years writing and publishing memories and poetry, but the other day I decided that, with much time on my hand, and not being able to get out into the field, to look at some of my sketches and have a go at making a few thumbnail paintings preparatory to, perhaps, making a few paintings......



The thumbnail sketches are 3"X5" done in watercolour on all purpose sketching paper.






Whereas the sketches are rough they did help me to remember some of my travels, and how to manipulate watercolour. It's good to understand that different papers react differently to watercolour, each creating a new challenge. The next step is to tackle a larger version of each making use of proper watercolour paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment