Thursday 20 December 2018

MULTIVERSE

Recently, following a night of intense dreams involving persons long deceased and actions unexplainable, I was set to musing about the possibility of a parallel universe(s).

Have you ever travelled in your dreams to a place that you’ve been before, and been greeted as a long lost friend? Have you ever visited a place were once you lived, and imagine times spent, and wondered if time had continued in your absence? Have you ever turned left, instead of right, and pondered your future had you continued on? Have you ever travelled a stretch of highway and passed a vehicle identical to yours travelling in the opposite direction, and wondered about its occupants? When we die does another version of us occupying space in another universe, carry on?

I wandered down the street one day,
and looked down the hill,
at a place that I’d been before.
I imagined time spent in this place,
and events that happened, and 
wondered,
if time stood still, when
I moved on, or
if life carried on.
Do we exist in many places
like a film with its many frames,
moments of time captured,
while the movie carried on.
If I exist in many places
will my others, 
carry on, 
when I have reached my end, or
will my others fade,
like me. 
With no one to wonder,
no one to care,
no doubt they will,
like me,
simply,
fade away.

All of this brings me to the question of what happens to an artist’s work once he, or she fades away. Some would say what does it matter to the artist once he, or she, have faded away. But, as I age, I am concerned. Years of effort recognized, yet not recognized, by those in the know presents a problem for those that remain. I’ve hundreds of sketches, drawings, and paintings. Do I shred my struggle to be recognized, and go peacefully knowing that I tried, or do I simply let things happen as they may believing that this collection may one day find a home? Dilemma. Of course, if their exists a multiverse, and I exist in multiple dimensions, then my exit in this moment in time should present no problem…should it?

Recent sketches to add to my growing concern:-

Winter Birches   Watercolour

Tea Lake, Algonquin Park     Watercolour

Tea Lake Pen & Ink Sketch

No comments:

Post a Comment