Wednesday 24 October 2018

MEMORIES MADE LONG AGO

There was a time when come September we’d head up north, up Lake Superior Provincial Park way, where I’d make sketches, and we’d explore the sandy shores of mighty Lake Superior. These past couple of years due to inclement weather, and more so due to health issues we’ve simply never made it up that way.  My substitute has been to visit my sketches, and to relive memories. The other day I came across a pencil sketch of a favourite outlook over Orphan Lake. I recall that I had hoped to hike the entire trail around the lake, but by the time that we had discovered Orphan Lake I was already experiencing mobility issues brought on by the onset of older age. .....

Incidentally, I must tell you, older age/old age is nothing to look forward to, and for those of you who might be reading this who are young and mobile, don’t put off until retirement, to enjoy the moment, hike around the lake at every opportunity that you get. Growing older is, well, no fun at all. Anyway, sorry to interrupt. Back to my story…..

We considered hiking around the lake and started off down the trail, but after a few arduous sections it was decided that it would be fool hardy to continue on, and we returned to the outlook. We had an enjoyable picnic lunch, and I sat and made a couple of sketches and took a few photos so that I might make a drawing, or painting back home in my studio.


In visiting my sketches and doing a bit of a search on my computer I came to realize that I had made not just a couple of sketches, but more than a few, on my way to making a small painting. No matter of course. I enjoyed making the sketches and doodle, but more importantly, I enjoyed the memory of our hike to the outlook, and our sitting quietly enjoying the silence broken only by the hush of the wind in the trees. It’s as I’ve often stated, sketching is all about creating memories to be enjoyed long after the event has occurred. A few lines, a small watercolour sketch, nothing momentous, and we’ve captured a memory to last a lifetime.

Here's some of my sketches and drawings of Orphan Lake, Lake Superior Provincial Park:-


Thumbnail Studies  Orphan lake


Orphan Lake - Pencil Sketch 


Pen & InK Drawing    Orphan Lake

Orphan Lake - Graphite Drawing


Orphan Lake - Graphite Drawing


Orphan Lake - Thumbnail Studies




Orphan Lake    Graphite Drawing

Orphan Lake _ Lake Superior Prov. Pk.     Graphite Sketch


Orphan lake - Graphite Sketch



Orphan Lake - Photo with pencil study



Thumbnail Studies    Orphan Lake




Orphan Lake - Lake Superior Provincial Park     Watercolour Painting

No comments:

Post a Comment