Wednesday 7 February 2018

THE WAY THINGS WERE

While searching through files for use in my new book, Part Two of My Painting Places - Algonquin Provincial Park, I came across some scans of various waterfowl paintings and etchings. Looking through them I was transported back to my beginnings, my early attempt at becoming a wildlife artist. Having made the decision to pursue my passion for nature and become a wildlife artist, then discovering just how difficult it was to find reference for drawings and paintings, I began to haunt the nearby marsh to gather reference material. I’d head out to the marsh in all kinds of weather at all times of the day. At first I tried to photograph ducks and geese in flight, but despite using a motordrive and a long lense with a 2X adapter, I’d still end up with specks, nothing worthwhile to be used as reference. I finally realized that the best way to capture material was to simply watch, do the odd sketch, and scribble notes on the fly to remind me of moments spent walking the marsh. I acquired a lot of memories, such as one very early spring morning when the mist held heavy on the marsh I suddenly came upon  as many as 25 - 30 drake Wooducks in a drainage ditch. I instantly froze to take in the site, but it only took seconds for one of the ducks to realize that something had been added to the landscape, and they exploded as one and flew off over the marsh. In time I would come upon Baldpate, Green-winged Teal, and Pintails in similar settings. As well, there were Canada Geese by the thousands, and sometimes Swans and Snow Geese. Wonderful memories that sometimes became paintings. Sadly, things have changed out on the marsh. Urban development has encroached on wetlands, and destroyed farmland, sanctuaries for waterfowl. Few seem to care. Young persons are being denied outdoor education in favour of fantasy delivered by technology. Television paints a picture suggesting that all is well out on the marsh, all is well with the nature of things for that matter, but it isn’t. Come spring the ducks and geese are fewer out on the marsh, absent in the case of some species. Supporters of the way things were, are becoming older. Soon, no doubt, the marsh will be abandoned to developers, and nature with all of its wonders will exist as digital memories, and mounts in museums to explain to future generations, the way things were.



Mates Wood Ducks  hand-coloured Etching

Spooked - Mallards   Hand-coloured Etching

Mates - Canada Geese   Etching & Aquatint

Paired - Mallards  Hand-coloured Etching

Spring Flight - Scaup  Hand-colouered Etching 

Tiny Marsh - Canada Geese  Watercolour Painting

Drake Wood Ducks  Watercolour Painting
Spring Mallards   Watercolour Painting

Three Mallards    Hand-coloured Etching

No comments:

Post a Comment