Saturday 3 May 2014

WOOD DUCKS



It’s finally spring back this way and the annual waterfowl migration is underway. Days gone by come the time of the migration, and in all kinds of weather, I would haunt the nearby marsh hoping to view as many species of ducks and geese as was possible. Of all the ducks, Wood Ducks were my favourite, and if I was lucky I might get to see a few mated pairs. One cold, misty day, very early in the morning, I got lucky and stumbled upon as many as twenty drakes vying for the attention of several ducks. It was quite an incredible sight lasting only a few minutes, for as soon as they caught sight of me they were off.  It followed that when I began to paint and draw waterfowl that I’d begin with Wood Ducks. My first attempts were pretty gruesome, in part due to the fact that I relied upon improperly mounted specimens. But, in time they got a bit better.........



Mates - Wood Ducks     Early Watercolour Painting
Drake Wood Duck   Watercolour Painting
Drake Wood Ducks    Pencil Drawing
Drake Wood Ducks    Transparent Watercolour Painting

No comments:

Post a Comment